Hey Guys,
I forget the last time that I actually posted a blog entry. Let’s get you all caught up on everything that has happened. Well, I haven’t had Internet for about a week because I haven’t had time to reload it since the holidays (everything is closed) and then work has got me clocking 8-8pm. By the time I get home, everything is closed. Italy is a tad technologically behind so doing something online is close to impossible. I was actually able to recharge yesterday but I think I messed up. They told me that my promotion of 100 hours for 20 euro would be set up for this morning. I went on last night because I remembered the guy said that I had 5 euro of credit that I could use. I am hoping that my use of the internet has not turned on the regular .50 euro for 15 minutes. We will see. If I messed up, I will just have to pay another 20 euro in the near future, ahha.
Anyway I was at work Monday and Tuesday and was off on Wednesday due to Befana (or Epiphany). I love Italy and its many holidays. Thursday was the first day in the Tom Ford Showroom in Milan. He actually came around 5 or 6pm and my boss did not come in, so I was unable to actually see the man himself yesterday but I am sure I will see him and be introduced to him today. BTW the people here are friendly but when working extra c*nty (just like me), and I can’t take. The cool thing here is that almost everyone is from somewhere different. We have Italian, American, French, English, German, and Russian (no Asians though). I love it. So many different crazy languages so few people.
The Job Front (in descending interest order):
This has really been taking off and I am quite excited about it. The funny thing is, every job and interview has been through the help of SDA Bocconi, so it makes me realize that I made the right decision and am glad I am here (beyond the Tom Ford experience).
LVMH Italia – Louis Vuitton Italy here in Milan is my first interview, which is next Tuesday with the HR Director. If I were to move forward with this job, my plan would be to stay here for 2 years (1 year in Milan, 1 year in Rome) and then transfer to the Headquarters in Paris.
Larusmiani – I have an informal dinner with the VP of the Group. I will sell my pants off in this “informal dinner”. In Italy, this is how business is done and how people get jobs, so I take it as a good sign. He already spoke to me about a special project. This is a good sign since the company was not even interested in me until I told them that I was working at Zegna (Tom Ford Collection), a company they desire to be. We will see how this goes. I am actually interested in this position because of the fast trajectory (VP in 4 years). Perhaps that is the wrong reason to want a job but, we will see. If it isn’t for me, I won’t get it. =)
Yoox – The biggest surprise of all has been… TheYoox Group. It is a discount online retailer that sells end of the season luxury items at discounted prices. My resume was given to the HR person there (by SDA Bocconi) and they sent it to the US Country Manager. The guy emailed me wanting to interview. He even did some background checking with the VP of Marketing at Versace. My boss at Versace bcc’ed me the amazing recommendation he sent on my behalf. Basically saying I was the best intern he had ever had. I mean, the guy was already impressed with me. He wrote in his email, “He has an impressive resume: Columbia MBA, fluent in 3 languages, who is this guy?” It was great to know that Versace had my back and sent such a glowing recommendation. The Yoox guy told me that he wants to interview me right when I return to the US. =)
The Inditex Group (Zara): I sent them a heart felt email about my passion for the company right before I was starting with Tom Ford but hadn’t heard anything. I followed up with them the other day and I got an out-of-office reply. Knowing the Spaniards, I feel like they will get to me sometime next week for the “promised interview.” If this opportunity comes through, you already know!!!!!
Zegna/Tom Ford Collection – I have decided to not stay here but possibly come back in September (as a back up) if I don’t find an amazing dream job. Not a bad back-up if you ask me. I am very happy with my decision.
Y’all I think I might get a job in the tough economy and all. It brings a smile to my face knowing that I have options, you know.
The Man Front:
I met up with Simone (the dorky professor) on Wednesday and we had coffee and cake. He is so sweet and he even sneaked a lip to lip short kiss after the “meal” and walked me to my train station. He is a complete gentleman. Before the meal we walked around this big castle called Castello Sforsezco (de-ja-vu think Adriano [1st bf]). After that we had our 2 cappuccinos and cake slices… get this 25 euro. I was shocked. I thought it was bloody murder. I felt bad since he paid for everything. I told him I would pay for dinner on Saturday.
I also found some I had been chatting with online for a while just the other day. His name is Andrea and he is 34 and a hotel manager. He is obsessed with me, so I decided to give him the time of day and go out with him tomorrow. We have a brunch date. We will see how this turns out. He has broken up with his boyfriend about a month ago I think it is a good time (healthy) to see him for the first time. I was not even entertaining him while he was with his guy. Ok so it seems as though I might be going hard on the bf tip until I leave; talk about de-ja-vu!
-A
Friday, January 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment